Monday, October 12, 2009

Hacking CUDA and OpenCL on Fedora 10

I discovered Fedora 11 is not compatible with NVIDIA's CUDA toolkit (now on version 2.3; see note about driver version below) because the latter requires GCC 4.3 where Fedora 11 provides GCC 4.4. So I'll have to back down to Fedora 10. Here are some handy notes for setting up Fedora 10. I installed a number of RPMs to get CUDA to build.
sudo yum install eclipse-jdt eclipse-cdt \
freeglut freeglut-devel kernel-devel \
mesa-libGLU-devel libXmu-devel libXi-devel

The Eclipse stuff wasn't all necessary for CUDA but I wanted it.

In a comment to an earlier posting, Jesper told me about OpenCL, a framework for writing programs that execute across heterogeneous platforms consisting of CPUs, GPUs, and other processors. NVIDIA supports this and has an OpenCL implementation which required updating my NVIDIA drivers to version 190.29, more recent than the version 190.18 drivers on NVIDIA's CUDA 2.3 page. When I installed 190.29, it warned me that it was uninstalling the 190.18 drivers.

Python enthusiasts will be interested in PyOpenCL.

NVIDIA provides a lot of resources and literature for getting started with OpenCL.

No comments: